We educate the children according to the five principles of Dalton
In our schoolplan and schoolguide we give further insights about how our education is organized, what our vision is and how we fit that in our way of teaching. Furthermore we show what steps we take in our own development. Our startingpoint is that we are a Dalton school. This means that our school distinguishes itself by paying a lot of attention to:
- Freedom and responsibility
We think that the development of these skills is essential to live and work in the 21st century. We want these principles to be visible, noticeable, audible and sensible in our school, conform the ideas of Helen Parkhurst:
“Dalton is no method, no system. It’s a way of life.”
In addition to the Dalton principles, we make it a priority to motivate an inquisitive attitude in our students. This mission of our school is:
Focus on learning: to examine - to discover - to design
We offer meaningfull education to ensure our students have a good start as young and responsible citizens in a constantly changing society.
- To examine means to us that students learn how to unravel problems, questions, objects and phenomena, to explore, to analyse and to think further: to investigate through observation, to ask questions, to experiment, to make predictions, to handle frustration, to articulate and to explore.
- To discover means that our students experience the Eureka-effect, by letting them come up with solutions for problems and judge whether the solution is appropriate for a problem. We teach our students to be curious through investigation, we want them to be amazedthrough discovery.
- With designing we want our students to create an object or to outline their learning route.
To examine, to discover and to design is a method with which we aim for different goals. This method encourages the students to be critical and they are challenged to ask questions about the things they want to know.
We are a KiVa-school! Together against bullying.
What is KiVa
KiVa is a succesful Finnish anti-bullying program. It's effective in preventing and solving bullying. KiVa means 'to be nice' and it also stands for:
"We make a great school together!"
KiVa is one of the schoolwide programs, which is approved by the NJi to prevent bullying.
KiVa is a preventive schoolwide program that focuses on reinforcing social safety and preventing and stopping bullying. An important starting point from KiVa is that bullying is seen as a groep phenomenon. To influence the group as a whole is essential to stop bullying effectively. All students are involved in this process. During 10 themes the students learn about the different group roles and they think of solutions with the group. Topics that, among others, are discussed are: respect, communication and the different roles in de group. In every theme there is one rule which receives special attention:
- We are nice to each other and treat each other with respect.
- Together we make a great group.
- We talk with each other (and use the I-language).
- We want bullying to stop!
- We get along with each other.
- We help each other.
- We stand up for each other.
The students fill in a questionnaire twice a year about the wellbeing and their social relations within the group. The teachers get a report so they can improve what the students need to enjoy their time at school.
Since the schoolyear 2020, the 3e Dalton is an officially ceritified KiVa-school. We are very proud to have received this certification.
More information is found at: https://www.kivaschool.nl/